Thursday, June 24, 2010

Color Club - Magic Attraction

Here's one that has been in my stash for a while - Color Club Magic Attraction. I can't remember when I picked it up but it's one of the oldest Color Clubs I own - I've never seen Color Club for sale anywhere until I found online e-tailers. Since then I've seen it at one nail supply store, but that's it.

Magic Attraction is a holographic glitter. It's not a holo in the same way that China Glaze DV8 and OPI DS Glamour are - it's just got a ton of holo glitter in it, but it doesn't sparkle in any kind of pattern. It looks very "meh" inside under indirect light. Here it is next to a window on a mostly cloudy day.
See? Meh. Since I am working at home today I went outside to take a picture of this. It figures that it's been cloudless and sunny all week, but as soon as I go outside to take pictures, it's mostly cloudy today. Here it is in as much sun as I could find today.
Sparkly, but not spectacular, right? When I looked at the photos of this mani and got to this one I giggled like a little girl. This is inside under halogen light:
If I've done this right, you should be able to click on this one to embiggen it. Look at that sparkle and color! If the sun comes out for real today I'll go outside and take another photo. I'm going out to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington tonight so I'll at least take a photo with my phone and post it to Twitter, then move it here later (probably tomorrow). The breakdown:
Basecoat: CND Stickey (1 coat)
Color: Essie Loophole (1 coat, just to hide any bare spots)
Color: Color Club Magic Attraction (3 coats)
Topcoat: Seche Vite (2 THICK coats!)

Let's talk about application here. Magic Attraction is very pretty but it was a PAIN to apply! It's packed with glitter in a clear base, but even with as much glitter as there is, I still had some bare spots after two coats. I had to glop on the third coat in some places to get even coverage. Clean-up was a pain, too. You can forget the acetone/brush trick with this one - just be careful in application. And, the finish was super-bumpy - one coat of Seche wasn't enough and I had to do two to get it smooth. I don't have any tip pulling right now, but I will be extremely surprised if I don't have any later. I'm OK with that though, because I usually file my nails on Fridays, so it won't be that obvious. I'm kind of dreading removal, but I'm not - because I know I'm probably going to pick it off, like I usually do. I really wish I could stop doing this. It can't be good for my nails long-term.

Have a great weekend, everyone - I'm going to try to fit in a comparison of Color Club Warhol and China Glaze Pool Party before my regular mani.

No comments:

Post a Comment