Saturday, July 2, 2011

Color Club - Glitter Envy and Starry Temptress

I picked up the Starry Temptress collection from Trans Design.  I love the Color Club neons, so this was a no-brainer.


Glitter Envy is a green .... creme?  jelly?  crelly?  with holographic glitter in it.  Starry Temptress is the matching glitter topcoat.

I meant to take photos of Glitter Envy on its own, and I totally forgot.  Anyway - the Starry Temptress polishes on their own?  Not good.  The base color is nice and opaque, but because of that the glitter just looks like little specks.  The last time I wore one of the polishes from this collection I tried wiping my cleanup brush dipped in acetone over the polish to see if that would help - no dice.


Basecoat:  Salon Sciences Fiberglass Network (1 coat)
Color:  Color Club Glitter Envy (3 coats)
Topcoat:  Color Club Starry Temptress (3 coats)
Topcoat:  Seche Vite (1 coat)

Application for these polishes is awful.  It is thick and gloopy, and not in a good way.  It still wants to run into cuticles, and the glitter likes to hang off the edge of the nail.  And, as I said earlier, the holo glitter is totally buried and just looks like white specks.  You really need to use the Starry Temptress topcoat to get the intended effect.  The texture is bad, too - it feels like sandpaper stuck to your nails.  The good part is that it's SO thick that three coats was enough for total opacity.

Unfortunately, Starry Temptress is also thick and gloopy.  It's not quite as thick as Glitter Envy, but it's still pretty thick.  It does, however, help even out the texture of Glitter Envy (this was the case with Ultra Astral, too).  I did use a coat of Seche on top of this - another coat might finish smoothing it out completely, but I'm OK with this as it is - it's already eight coats of polish, and six of them are pretty thick.

My recommendation?  Get the Starry Temptress topcoat, but use a creme, non-glitter base color.  I would skip the Starry Temptress polishes altogether.  It's a shame, because I was really looking forward to these, but it's just not worth the hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment