Saturday, December 31, 2011

Orly - Rock Solid

I'm not very sure how to describe this polish - it's an odd one, for sure.  My best guess is a charcoal Mineral FX-like sparkle, with a bunch of holographic glitter pieces.


Basecoat:  Salon Sciences Fiberglass Network (1 coat)
Color:  Orly Rock Solid (3 coats)
Topcoat:  NYC Grand Central Station (1 coat)




See what I mean?  Anyway, application was really good - my brush tended to get a whole lot of polish on it, but as long as I was careful to wipe off any excess, it wasn't a problem.  Consistency was fine, and cleanup went a lot better than I expected it to.  I have a couple of bare spots but it's not really noticeable, either in photos or in real life.

I believe NYC Grand Central Station is really a clear quick-dry polish as opposed to a topcoat, but it's been getting rave reviews as a topcoat, so I decided to try it.  Dry time is very nice - not as fast as Seche but just fine, and it's reasonably shiny.  My manicure still has a little bit of texture to it, but I'm not blaming my topcoat for it - I used a not-smooth base coat, and this polish has a lot of glitter.  It's still an acceptable texture - not anything like the Nubar Sparkles - and although I think a Gelous topcoat sandwich would work here, I just don't been like it's necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment