Sunday, May 30, 2010

About my nailcare routine

As I am working on my manicure I figured I would give some background on my usual routine.

I polish my toes every three weeks, or as needed.  I don't always do a pedi in the wintertime.

I polish my fingernails about twice a week.  I usually do it on Sunday, and again on Tuesday or Wednesday night - depends on whether I've picked it off and what I have going on.

Speaking of picking it off, this is my biggest struggle - I pick my nail polish off.  I often end up having to buff my nails just to even out the pits I've caused by picking off my polish.

My usual routine is this:  Polish remover (I like Beauty Secrets for natural nails).  Once I've removed all my polish, I follow with a swipe of acetone.  Basecoat is a *must*.  I try to stick with the same brand, if I have it.  If needed I follow this with a coat of ridge filler.  I usually do three coats of polish, but I'm willing to go as much as five coats.  If it's not opaque I take it off and wear something else.  I don't really like jelly polishes - it has to be a pretty special color for me to accept VNL.  Once my color has dried a little, I go for topcoat.  Seche Vite is my holy grail topcoat - it covers a MULTITUDE of sins.

I've just recently started doing a decent cleanup.  I used to not even try to keep my polish neat, and just pick off the excess once the polish dried.  I really envy MeganChair's gorgeous "gap" - I could never get this right.  Then I came across her amazing tutorial, and this is the method I am using now.  I'm not very good at it yet, but each time I can tell it is getting better.

I use a cuticle oil daily at least.  I have a bottle of Solar Oil at my desk at work - I use it every day.  At home I use either Solar Oil, Barielle Intensive Nail Renewal Oil, or CND Cuticle Remover.  I also have Lush's Lemony Flutter, but I usually forget that I have it.

For keeping the length in check, I always file - I never, ever clip my fingernails.  I do clip my toenails, though - I'm just not flexible enough to file them.

Hope you found this information useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment